Investigators and institutions can use the Online Reliance System to request, track, and document reliance arrangements on a study-by-study basis.
- Simplifies the selection of a single IRB for multisite studies
- Manages communication between institutions and investigators
- Tracks the status of requests
- Clearly indicates what needs to be done next
- Documents reliance arrangements for each study
- Reminder options help keep the process moving
- Sites can be added to a reliance arrangement by amendment
- On-demand summary reports for institutions
Reliance Walkthrough Video
Check out our Resources for more information about using the system.
How it works
To submit a request for reliance for your study, the Overall PI or a designee will:
- Provide details about the study
- List the engaged sites
- Identify activities and personnel at each site
- Upload research protocol and any consent templates
Review the Reliance Checklist and prepare study materials prior to logging in.
Once a request is submitted:
- The Overall PI’s home institution evaluates the request
- A Reviewing IRB is identified
- Institutions express their willingness to rely and communicate local context information
- The Reviewing IRB reviews each institution’s decision and issues a determination
Implementing the SMART IRB Agreement
(for institutions and IRBs)
Future webinar dates are pending; join our mailing list to be notified of learning opportunities.